Revit vs AutoCAD

Discussion among students of architecture, planning, interiors, landscape, and environmental design. Occasional contributions by lurking design professionals.

Postby svenglezz-ASMEIL » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:26 pm

AutoCad is also about construction and volume.

AutoCad is BIM always has, always will, realy any program that add's "values" to an object is BIM.

Not to mention other programs out there besides AutoCad.

Computers have been powerful enough to manage the database of 3D information since the 90's.

Just my view,
Sven
svenglezz-ASMEIL

AutoCAD for architecture is history

Postby az101010 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:24 am

other than site plans and civil design
drafting and maybe some floorplan
sketches- AutoCAD has no more place
in architecture.. it never really did anyway
since it was intended for mechanical
and structural drawing.. sure they
eventually added some architectural
features to it- but it's just not an
architecural program.. besides that-
it's 28 years old- duh..
az101010

Postby svenglezz-ASMEIL » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:01 am

Your comments are strange to say the least (maybe it's your 1:30 am post, get some sleep) :)

If you make comments back it up, saying it's 28 years old means what?

And funny how most of the work being carried out is done on AutoCad? Why is that then?

As much as they want you to believe, it's not.

But just seems so many people with little experience claim that this program is the best of the best.
svenglezz-ASMEIL

Postby az101010 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:58 pm

the McGraw Hill Construction report just revealed that information
modeling in architecture is up to 50% and rising rapidly..

there are now 400,000 seats of revit..

and yes 28 years ago means AutoCAD began in 1982-
and they still type commands on it like it's DOS..

this is hilarious watching these CAD monkeys try
to spin this reality because they don't want to learn
something new.. lol
az101010

Postby svenglezz-ASMEIL » Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:00 am

May I ask why do they still continue to sell AutoCad 2010?

Just wonder how many seat's of Autocad are sold????

Not impressed with Revit, many more to learn then just one realy in need of help piece of software :P
svenglezz-ASMEIL

Postby Guest » Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:48 am

Why is AutoCAD sold you ask, It's simple it still has it's advantages and while theres a demand for it why wouldn't it be sold?

Typical to AutoDesk they don't want to obsolete any of there packages because it would meanthey wouldn't sell quite as many seats, A company I work for generally on average buy 2 pieces of software per person, everybody has some form of AutoCAD whether it be LT or Architecture, and then have either Navis, 3D studio Max and Revit, aswell as other random plugins, so if they obsoleted Autocad they would loose a shedload of income.

I work alot in 2D and 3D, the massive advantage AutoCAD has is it's simplicity and fast editing for 2D which is beneficial for most construction trades, for doing site plans, electrical layouts mechanical layouts etc. The other massive benefit it has (and god knows why someone slated it) is the typed commands. The reason for this is that not only is it much faster to type basic shortened commands such as l = line, c = circle, o = offset, f = fillet etc. etc. rather than having to look for some pidly icon somewhere on the screen (that if when you use another persons machine it's somewhere else) you can just type it, it's the same on everybody's computer no matter where they are (as long as they havn't changed their shortcuts of course). Obviously this is massively beneficial for training at any level, If somebody has a question, I can just shout the command to them, rather than having to get up stand over their shoulder and find their icon for them. It takes me probably a 10th of a second to start a command, can people who click icons tell me yow much more time they're wasting on each command and let me know how many times slower they are (not to mention if there hard drive fails and they gotta reset up all their UI and icons again?

I'm big on efficiency, anything that saves me time i'll do it! I can see the benefits of Revit, and really should get my head down to learn the program more. maybe when I next run out of work I will, and maybe my oppinion will change.

Postby svenglezz-ASMEIL » Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:05 am

First off good post above.

Just wan't to stress that my specific points are related to the mechanical and electrical systems and not architectural.

The m/e is terrible (with many mistakes in the videos presenting this software).

And not to mention the time issues, I can do 10 jobs in the time it takes to do 1 in Revit (and that's with changes during the design process), and they are fully co-ordinated, small file sizes and work on any software (shall I go on?), so flexiblility is the key to survival, and Revit is not very flexible or practicle on the m/e side.

Plus keep in mind the fee on many of the smaller projects don't allow time for this "fancy pants" software :) Architecural may be a different story :)
svenglezz-ASMEIL

Postby az101010 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:02 pm

now it's the majority in architecture using revit..

it's very fast to build a model of a building in revit..

you just bring all the pieces (elements) together..

they all snap into place- any of them..

once that model is finished- the program
automatically extracts 2D lines onto the sheets..

you get extremely accurate sheets at the
speed of light..

plus you get a model that can be rendered..

hand drawing line-by-line on paper OR on the
computer screen for the whole project is dead..

sure they eventually tried to pile on a model-
building program on top of AutoCAD- (ADT/ACA)-
but that's nothing compared to revit..

but revit only automatically produces 90% of the
lines needed for architectural sheets- so that's
where 2D drafting is needed to finish them up..

revit has a built-in line drawing program- but
it also exports to AutoCAD very nicely for
finishing and plotting..

one autodesk program with a very bright
future is AutoCAD LT..

and these people who think it's easier to put
their arm and hand and eyes on the keyboard
to activate a command instead of just clicking
the mouse where your hand already is- will be
happy with revit because with revit you can set
any key to activate any command- even if you
enjoy pushing five or six keys in a row just to