Revit vs AutoCAD

Discussion among students of architecture, planning, interiors, landscape, and environmental design. Occasional contributions by lurking design professionals.

Revit vs AutoCAD

Postby Kari » Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:24 pm

Hello,

Most of my design project is assigned using Revit not AutoCAD in school.
Why is that? Just because Revit is user friendly?
Kari

Postby Antisthenes » Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:19 pm

because they want to train you to replace autocad users who don't want to learn revit maybe?

it is not really a vs thing its a & thing that guarantees sales and market dominance.

think inside the (auto)box ;O
Antisthenes

Postby nanrehvasconez » Sat Jul 19, 2008 7:58 pm

Revit is the architectural version of Autocad, Autocad is the dominant CAD progran for all kinds of applications, to enormous to be mastered by students, and some times by professionals who use auto cad for decades.
nanrehvasconez

Postby MA2PA » Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:20 am

At my university they use standard Autocad and Visualization, is there any true advantage to using Revit specifically?
MA2PA

Postby Antisthenes » Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:44 pm

if you want to do any state/federal work they require BIM models now
Antisthenes

Postby rohit_tak45 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:03 am

well as per me autocad is for draftsman....n revit is for architects....so....
rohit_tak45

Postby teamjdc » Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:43 pm

rohit_tak45 wrote:well as per me autocad is for draftsman....n revit is for architects....so....

Oh brother!

I hope that makes you feel better because that's all that statement is worth... ...and only to you and your mother.

Get over yourself. BIM is just a different kind of CAD.
teamjdc

Postby rohit_tak45 » Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:26 am

well, thanx for clearing my confusion...
rohit_tak45

Postby Antisthenes » Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:21 pm

it's not true
the draftsman and the architect know both and more in this day and age.

like Rhinoceros to get more complex geometry into Revit.
Antisthenes

Postby Archifrenzy » Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:53 pm

at our school, we mostly use AutoCad and 3d max, i wonder how many schools use that as well. i mean since all im reading to this moment is autoCad and Revit.
Archifrenzy

Postby Antisthenes » Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:12 pm

dare a school take any risks to say no to only the monopoly? there are many more choices

i'd like to see a school save by using IntelliCAD and Blender
Antisthenes

Postby wolfarchitech » Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:20 am

Revit is the next step to what seems like the very very long road to what BIM should be. It has been catching on in the professional world more and more in the past couple of years. Both are owned by Autodesk. The market is swinging toward Revit so I think it is best that your school is preparing you for that.
wolfarchitech

Postby svenglezz-ASMEIL » Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:07 pm

hmmmm.....

Catching on in the professional world? last couple of years?

Got some proof/link to back that up?

And what field are you talking about? Architectural? Structural? Mechanical? Electrical? Interior? Landscape? or Others?

And remember you can BIM in most cad programs :) just use the ASMEIL system :) for free :)
svenglezz-ASMEIL

Postby Guest » Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:14 am

I do have Revit on a 30 day trial and have allways used AutoCAD, from what I gather Revit Automates alot of the cumbersome tasks in architectural design, e.g. schedules material selections and specifications, where this initially appears to be a very good thing, I have experienced people who are using revit getting very lazy and just presuming that Revit is doing the job right, the reality is it still needs alot of manual imput and if people ignore things i can visualise alot of law suits in the future if people become too dependant on it!

Due to revit in essence doing alot more architecturally for it's users i would say that for large industrial / commercial projects it would be a fantastic tool (if used properly) as it seems to help alot with the project management and quality assurance side of things, However if you have a smaller residential project e.g house design for example I personally would stick to AutoCAD Architecture, as it allows the basic very efficient drafting methods of AutoCAD (Revit seems too cumbersome to draft efficiently) and allows for building pretty much whatever 3D model or construction detail you require using it's conventional methods.

To sum it up, If you are more interested in Commercial / Industrial Architecture learn Revit, as larger companies who do large scale work will likely be tending towards it. If you are more interested in Residential learn AutoCAD Architecture, by doing so i'd suggest you'd make yourself more useful and hence more employable by companies.

hope this helps ;p

Postby RSCarcht » Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:39 pm

Revit is about construction and volume. AutoCAD is a parametric representational system that was used to represent construction and space until computers became powerful enough to manage the database of 3D information. I believe that AutoCAD is backward looking, whereas Revit (and other BIM programs) are forward looking. For us it is an easy choice.
RSCarcht

Next

Return to Architecture Students Forum