Lingering Question

Discussion among students of architecture, planning, interiors, landscape, and environmental design. Occasional contributions by lurking design professionals.

Lingering Question

Postby cdohert13 » Sun Jun 21, 2009 6:44 pm

Hey everyone,

I'm new to the forum, and was just looking for a little outside opinion/help. I have just finished my second year as an architectural student, and I have had this lingering problem in my design work in studio courses and it has been bothering me for some time now. The main problem seems to be I can never execute what I set out to execute in the beginning of the project. I guess that's a vague statement, but I'll try to explain it more.

I always seem to have a good idea of what I want to do on a project, meaning what problems I want to solve, and how I want to solve them, but can never come to a sound design that answers what I aimed to solve from the beginning. It's been pointed out to me by my studio professors, and I've noticed it myself too. It's almost like I know exactly what I want to do, and when I'm presenting my work I state all the right solutions to the problem at hand, but my work does not show for it nearly as well as I would like.

I always seem to be very close to solving the problem, but miss making the key decisions that will help me arrive at a sound building. I mean I know it comes with time of being given tough problems to solve (site strategy, relation to surrounding building context and such), and I've only been an architecture student for 2 years, but I've been bothered by this problem, and was looking for advice.

I was just wondering if anyone had some advice on how to possibly overcome this problem of talking a big game, but not following through on what I say I'm going to do. I know there isn't a set answer to this problem, but I'm trying to take a step back and learn from my mistakes.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again,

Chris
cdohert13

Postby lekizz » Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:29 am

It's the age old problem that everyone experiences to a certain extent. But if we could all easily develop perfect, poetic and practical solutions to our briefs then we wouldn't need to go to college, would we :)

I saw several 'eureka' moments during my course, people who struggled for months suddenly were able to come up with brilliant solutions almost overnight. In actuality I think the 'talent' is a result of consistent applied hard work, continual study of precedents, absorbtion of what you are taught, continual practise. Andof course seeking advice and talking to other people. Lack of consistent hard work can eventually catch up with you.
lekizz
millennium club

Postby Fabdesigno » Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:23 pm

I totally agree with lekizz..
thats what architecture is about..
Fabdesigno

Postby innova+e » Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:01 am

I agree with those above, don't search for euphoric moments of enlightenment, rather, try and distill your design focus down to a few main themes, one if possible, and hash out the details, comprehensively. I often tried to take on too much as a theme, then had trouble bringing it all together as a convincing argument in the end for the crits. It's also quite common, this problem you're having, as an architectural or design solution is not so easily within reach. Each new move that is made brings up a new series of questions or problems that need to be resolved.

Don't be too hard on yourself, you'll figure it out if you want to. Be rigorous in your research and understanding of current methods and techniques, but simplify your focus to something you can control, then work your way up in complexity as you feel more comfortable. Good luck!
innova+e

Return to Architecture Students Forum