Is there such a thing as gearing up our GPA for grad sch?

Discussion among students of architecture, planning, interiors, landscape, and environmental design. Occasional contributions by lurking design professionals.

Is there such a thing as gearing up our GPA for grad sch?

Postby clot » Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:28 pm

For those who has been there, done that, please shed some light on these two thoughts.

1. Is there a way to boost up my GPA after graduating from a 4 yr pre-professional program to give myself an edge on getting into graduate school? i.e. is there such a thing as a postback program for architecture students?

2. How would I go about getting into a dual program for a M.Arch and a Masters in Structural Engineering, especially having no undergraduate work in engineering, except for a single structure course? (I have acquired a very fond interest in structural after that singular class.)

I hope anyone who has trailed one of these two paths or even better-both, I would love your insights!
clot

SUPRISE AND THEN AGAIN...NOT...I WOULD LOVE YOUR THOUGHTS!

Postby clot » Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:25 am

I was really hoping for some thoughts. It is something that I have been contemplating for a while and I would love it if anyone who might have a lead on these thoughts to take a moment and share your insights! I notice the number of views and relative to the replies- it's meager. I have tried doing some research on it myself, but no luck, so I am REALLY hoping some can share their experience genuinely.
clot

Postby BuildingNUT » Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:22 am

Have you spoken with / looked for schools that you would be interested in?

For the M.Arch - you will need a good portfolio if your GPA isn't great. I don't know much about a Masters of Struct. Eng... but I was in undergraduate with somebody who dual-majored in Arch & Structural Eng. She handled it very well, but architecture took up the majority of her time.

Architecture is EXTREMELY time consuming, so in order to do both - you will need good time management.

Just out of curiosity though - why do you want this? Is there a particular future path you are preparing for? I think that is the main thing to worry about - that is a lot of schooling if there is an easier way to get to where you want to go.
BuildingNUT

Return to Architecture Students Forum