SLUM DEVELOPMENT _ AS THESIS TOPIC

Discussion among students of architecture, planning, interiors, landscape, and environmental design. Occasional contributions by lurking design professionals.

SLUM DEVELOPMENT _ AS THESIS TOPIC

Postby dreamerarch » Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:08 am

Hey ppl!

Im thinkin of takin up slum development as my thesis topic.. im not sure how to proceed.. how to choose the site etc...

For Eg:

1. Should it be like demolishing existing dwellings n build new ones
2. Or, relocate ppl to a new site.. (which will involve study of that particular city in detail)

I'm confused which way should go.. :( plz help..

Cheers,
Sudha
dreamerarch

Postby teamjdc » Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:13 am

If you have no clue how to proceed, why would you select that topic?

If it's a thesis and you're worthy of getting a degree then you need to use that mush in your skull and start thinking for yourself.
teamjdc

@teamjdc

Postby dreamerarch » Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:21 am

Im sorry but i dont think its necessary fr someone to knw the process once they have identified their area of interest..

So it is required to seek guidance from people who hav already experinced that process.. Do u have any problem with that? :)
dreamerarch

Postby lekizz » Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:10 am

Slums develop organically and ad hoc, using available materials, with no planning or infrastructure. That is why they are slums!

What you are suggesting sounds like a city masterplanning project. You probably need to analyse a city of your choice and identify an area suitable for new residential development.

However, if you intend to design an area, plan the site and infrastructure, surely the result will not be a 'slum'!
lekizz
millennium club

@ Lekizz

Postby dreamerarch » Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:42 am

Thanks for your response.. That was exactly where i was stuck up.. its more of an urban design than an architectural design.. So i was thinking how far it will work out as a"thesis topic"
dreamerarch

Postby lekizz » Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:49 pm

What interests you about slums? Why did you choose the topic?
lekizz
millennium club

Postby dreamerarch » Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:58 pm

i was looking for a thesis topic that has to do something with "architecture for the poor".. my aim is to prove that architecture is not only meant for the high end ppl of the society(which unfortunately is today) but want to look at architecture as a solution to a problem.. a contribution from my side as an architect to the society..
dreamerarch

Re: @teamjdc

Postby teamjdc » Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:00 pm

dreamerarch wrote:Im sorry but i dont think its necessary fr someone to knw the process once they have identified their area of interest..

So it is required to seek guidance from people who hav already experinced that process.. Do u have any problem with that? :)

You should be ashamed and so should your so-called school.

If, after 5, 6, 7+ years of colege, you still don't know how to approach the work, I think you need to look elsewhere for guidance.

I am seriously sick of all of you who think you deserve a degree but act like helpless children.

Clearly, you've been spoon-fed your entire life.
teamjdc

teamdjc

Postby dreamerarch » Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:06 pm

Thanks for your concern..

If you are really sick, i dont mind you not replying to my post :)

Good luck to you!
dreamerarch

Postby lekizz » Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:21 pm

i was looking for a thesis topic that has to do something with "architecture for the poor".. my aim is to prove that architecture is not only meant for the high end ppl of the society(which unfortunately is today) but want to look at architecture as a solution to a problem.. a contribution from my side as an architect to the society..

Slums are more "architecture by the poor" than "architecture for the poor". There is a possibility to use your thesis to explore the concept of architecture without architects, or architecture of the everyday. There are writers and publications that have studied these topics. The idea is fascinating, though somewhat self defeating from the point of view of an architect!

Maybe you could create a place that enables people to construct their own places to live. Or maybe provide a tool kit that could be used in different ways. Not sure that it will be substantial enough to be a final thesis project!
lekizz
millennium club

Postby mrunali.balki » Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:10 am

hey instead of redevelopment of slum its better if u take it as" transformation of slum in to an urban village" scope to the topic is very vast.in this topic u can proceed as, u just have to provide proper services for which earlier u have to collect existing data than proceed accordingly.And affcourse good living condition, u cannot simply change the architecture therin coz it wont be comfortable 4 them as well.so use of available sustainable materials and provide them good living condition without disturbing ther existing rutine, plan accordingly.hope i made things 4 u a bit simple and clear!
mrunali.balki

Postby chrisrich » Thu Nov 26, 2009 5:29 pm

I thought it would be a great idea to use storage containers and retrofit them with electrical/plumbing/heating etc and ship them to third world countries to use as shelter. I have also thought that a lot can be done with bamboo as well.
chrisrich

Postby archiwei » Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:28 pm

study how to raise the funds..............
archiwei

Postby mukhtar » Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:49 pm

like the other guy said something about containers, try something on sustainable architecture or use of sustainable building materials. i am also right my final year thesis, and i am working on self cleaning materials, any ideas, thanx and good luck.
mukhtar

Postby teamjdc » Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:50 am

Public bath houses/toilets, tents, a decent school, and a community kitchen would go a long way.

Give them a sewer system that works and pave the streets so they can clean up the shit.

You can't get anywhere if you can't get clean and healthy.

If the can take care of that, then you can think about permanent housing.
teamjdc

Return to Architecture Students Forum