Urban design, Thesis - Shiv (my response)

Discussion among students of architecture, planning, interiors, landscape, and environmental design. Occasional contributions by lurking design professionals.

Urban design, Thesis - Shiv (my response)

Postby MD » Thu Apr 15, 2004 8:02 am

Did you study similar projects as BRASILIA (Capital city of Brasil) or GUYANA (A city in venezuela)
Both cities were created... I mean, the started from scratch, they had to locate a place to build them and plan everything. While studying architecture and planning in my country I had to study these cities.
I think you can find some info on the internet of books about the planners of brasilia and guyana. If you do not have a place to locate the city you may want to find out of some activity going on somewhere or figure out a good reason to built a city in some area. For example, in brasil the capital use to be in one side of the country and they decided to build brasilia in the middle of the country (the jungle) so the country could develop better. Guyana, on the other hand, was built because activity. In my coutry there was a city created because activity. They started to explote coal open mines and a lot of activity was going on. They had to create train tracks to transport the colt, an airport for bunches of employees and a port also for transportation. They had to create housing for employees and executives (all of this in an almost desertic area, close to the atlantinc ocean)
if you have any comments my email is - blocked -

Postby nipesh » Thu Apr 22, 2004 4:39 am

It seems my ideas are totally different from you. BRASILIA may be
a planned city from the scratch, but what about rest of the
world.................before humans...............................

I mean to say that whatever has developed till now is due to some
reason or the other, every thing till last minute is
planned..................only difference between now and then is
that ...then they planned considering small area and now we are
going to a larger aspects only because we have the resources.
Now Architecture is different because now humans want something more than just functionality, i.e. now also its the human needs as then which governs the Architecture.

Postby MD » Thu Apr 22, 2004 11:41 am

This is the original posting of Shib:

this is my Thesis, i have to design a city which includes everything as youcan see in a city. parks hospitals and etc...there is a design tool word which is "Density contours".

can you give me some idea how to design this city wheni dont have a site and nothing else? any book to read?? just have no idea can anyone help me plz

Urban ideas in 'A Pattern Language'

Postby Kevin » Thu Apr 22, 2004 3:05 pm

You can get a ton of useful ideas, at every level of scale from urban patterns (like density contours) from "<a href="http://www.GreatBuildings.com/cgi-bin/glk?http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0195019199/artificeinc">A Pattern Language</a>" by Christopher Alexander.

It is a very impressive book, but don't use it a a bible! Just be sure to use it critically - keep thinking things through for yourself. How does this make sense? Does this really fit? Is that still true?
Site Admin

Return to Architecture Students Forum