the mark of a question....

Discussion among students of architecture, planning, interiors, landscape, and environmental design. Occasional contributions by lurking design professionals.

the mark of a question....

Postby Kusim » Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:24 pm

hi everybody, i want to design a woodwork shop for 20 employees, using the design concept of a question mark but i am still confuse on how to relate it to the workshop
Kusim

Postby Kusim » Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:18 am

Sounds like an assignment... could be a lot of ways to take that " ? ".

Plan, section, elevation...

Exterior outline, or solid form, or gesture of interior flow...

Or more conceptual - what might impermanence, non-resolution, the asking of questions have to do with the spirit or feeling of a good-sized workshop?
Kusim

Postby teamjdc » Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:57 am

Talking to yourself?
teamjdc

Postby djswan » Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:49 pm

The Amish have some designs for woodworking shops.
djswan
millennium club

Postby SDR » Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:36 am

Do they ? I'd like to see them.

Like any manufacturing facility, the shop will want be designed around the tools and (especially) the stationary equipment needed or anticipated, and the materials to be stored and processed.

SDR
SDR
millennium club

Postby djswan » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:25 am

I don't think thier woodshop designs are anything you are going to see in print. maybe? I haven't looked for one. There's a few Hutterite colonies up here with a few woodworking shops working collectively. Fun stuff to see if one has the opportunity. The opposite would be Norm Abram's woodshop.

I'm picturing my own dream shop as all woodworkers do. :D
djswan
millennium club

Re: the mark of a question....

Postby djswan » Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:37 pm

Kusim wrote:hi everybody, i want to design a woodwork shop for 20 employees, using the design concept of a question mark but i am still confuse on how to relate it to the workshop

Confusion is a great space to be in when designing a workshop. I often can be found talking to myself. The more confusing the better I say. It forces people to look to you for leadership in the shop. Employees will tend to organize the confusion into something they understand. It's your job to introduce new confusing ideas to keep the ebb and flow of woodwork shop life. That is just one way to design with people. Material handling is a whole different story, enjoy!

djswan
millennium club

Return to Architecture Students Forum